The 30th celebration of the Science Festival at Espace des sciences Pierre Gilles de Gennes
- The 30th celebration of the Science Festival at Espace des sciences Pierre Gilles de Gennes
The public will have access to exprimententation stands, meeting with ESPCI Paris - PSL researchers, conferences, workshops...
Discover the complete program below and book with the registration form on our website.
Program for the general public
Wednesday, October 6 - 3:30
Lecture. "Identifying chemical components. Does reality look like TV shows?"
With Thomas Aubineau, ingénieur au laboratoire de Chimie Organique de l’ESPCI Paris - PSL
For attendants below 12
The public's view of chemical testing methods is greatly influenced by investigative television series in which the tests are often conducted with great fanfare and the results triumphantly obtained in a matter of minutes.
The reality is different, of course. In the world of organic chemistry research, identifying an unknown chemical or mixture is the core job. In this presentation, we will see how researchers proceed in the laboratory, what methods are used, what equipment is needed. Together we will try to apply these tools to identify a mystery mixture.
Friday, October 8 - 4 p.m. to 6:30
Science café. "Travels, travellers and travel narratives"
Organisé par le Laboratoire Orient et Méditerranée
The present time is supposed to see the rise of tourism but historians, philosophers and doctors have traveled a lot in the Antiquity and have left us the accounts of their travel experiences. What were their motivations for undertaking theseexpeditions, which were sometimes dangerous? Why were these journeys necessary?
From this distant period to the last decades, Humans have always wanted to explore and travel. What does the future hold for us? How far will this need for exploration go?
These are some of the questions that researchers from the Orient & Mediterranean laboratory and other institutions will try to answer during this debate.
- Florence Bourbon, Enseignante chercheure en Langues et littératures anciennes à l’ESPE/Université Paris-Sorbonne
- Claire Somaglino, Enseignante chercheure en égyptologie, Sorbonne Université
- Emmanuelle Tixier du Mesnil, enseignante chercheure en histoire et géographie arabe, Université Paris Nanterre
- Nicolas Prantzos, enseignant chercheur à l’Institut d’Astrophysique de Paris
- Isabelle Prieto, Chargée de communication pour le laboratoire Orient et Méditerranée, organisatrice et animatrice du débat.
The debate will be filmed then made available online on Canal-U.
Ce café est organisé avec le soutien de la Délégation CNRS Paris Centre.
Cette opération est en lien avec les actions organisées par Sorbonne Université.
Saturday, October 9 - 2 p.m to 5
A show of experiments with EPICS
Free of charge, booking and health passport are required to attend.