Call for Applications - PSL PhD Track Grants 2021
PSL wishes to provide special support for high-potential students entering into the field of research and taking on the scientific challenges of tomorrow. Through its PhD Track Grants, PSL and its Graduate Programs will support outstanding students for the entire duration of their graduate studies, from their Master’s to the completion of their PhD. With the PhD Track Grants, PSL is committed to promoting excellence and equal opportunities for students.
Applications for 2021/22 academic year will close February 7th, 2021.
PSL PhD Track grants: your passport to a prestigious research career with full financial support
Applicants for the PhD Track grants must apply for and enroll in one of the participating Master’s programs listed below. Upon completion of this Master’s degree, students in the track will continue to pursue their PhD at PSL.
PSL PhD Tracks grants amount is:
- Up to 2 years master’s degree: 10.000€/year
- Equivalent of a PhD contract based on French legislation
PhD Track grants for the current year (2021) are available to those entering eligible Master’s specializations beginning in September 2021. Entrance in Year 1 (M1), except for master's degree in Mathematics (Entrance in Year 2 / M2 only) :
5-years PhD Track: how does it work?
PhD track grants are funded for 5 years (4 years in specific cases): up to 2 years master’s degree grants, and 3 years PhD contract.
Funded students will complete the academic requirements of the Master’s program in which they are enrolled. Once the student has completed the Master’s degree an Ad hoc committee, designated by the relevant graduate program, will determine whether the student is awarded additional funding for continuation of his/her PhD at PSL.
To be awarded a PhD Track Grant, students must satisfy specific requirements (see below) and be formally accepted by the admissions committee of the Master’s program they have applied for.
Students must check deadlines and application procedures of the Master’s program that is associated with the PhD Track they are interested in.
The process for admission to the PhD Track Grant differs from that of the Master's degree.
Therefore, applicants have to submit two separate applications: one for the PhD Track Grant, and one for the associated Master's degree.
Applications for the PhD Track Grant must be submitted before February 7th, 2021 at 11:00 am Paris time (CEST).
Following a pre-selection based on your application, candidates will be auditioned by a jury of PSL graduate professors. Auditions will be conducted in English via video conference.
- Opening call for applications: January 5th, 2021 at 12:00am Paris time (CEST);
- Deadline for submission of applications: February 7th, 2021 at 11:00am Paris time (CEST);
- Auditions for final selection of candidates: February 12th - March 15th, 2021;
- Successful applicants notified of admissions: early April, 2021.
Applications must be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply, the student must download and complete the application form and return it with the supporting documents listed below.
All documentation must be submitted in English (official translation is not required). Please note that only complete applications submitted by the deadline will be considered by the jury.
Documents must be sent in one consolidated PDF file, in the order listed below.
- Personal information (applicant’s legal name, phone number and current mailing address)
- Title of the master's degree and specialization the student is applying for
- Statement of purpose (see below)
- Research statement (see below)
- Contacts of at least two academic references (contact information of two referees who know you well enough to support your application. We recommend that you consult with potential referees before submitting their names, in order to ensure their contact information is current and that they agree to write positive and informative letters in support of your application).
- Academic CV
- Academic transcripts from each college/university attended
- Official certificate of English language proficiency with score certificate (not mandatory but recommended)
- Statement of Purpose
The statement is meant to give us an idea of who you are and what you want from your graduate education. Tell us about your interest in the field and your career goals. Explain how your interests align with PSL’s PhD Track Grant. Use this statement to clarify any unusual elements in your CV or transcripts. Strict one-page limit.
- Research statement
The research statement should show us where your interests lie in the field of research and specifically within your subfield. Include any serious research projects which you have engaged in, and what you predict for the future of your research if you join our PhD program. One to two-pages limit.
Please find below some more details regarding PSL PhD Track grants.
And for more information regarding 2021/22 masters’degree applications, please consult this page.
A PhD Track Grant awards:
- €10,000 per year of enrolment during the master's program.
- If the student is successful in their master’s degree, they will receive the PhD contract, which is a 3-year working contract, with a salary in accordance with the french legislation.
No. If studies are interrupted during the year, or if you do not satisfy the conditions to continue through your program, your funding ceases.
- The grant funding do not include accommodation, transportation and living expenses.
- Information regarding accommodation in Paris can be found on the page "PSL accommodation".
The cost of living in Paris varies greatly depending on the type of accommodation you require (CROUS room/ studio/ room in a shared flat etc.), and its location (city center/ Ile de France region). We suggest a monthly budget of 600€ to 900 € to cover accommodation, food, and transportation costs (leisure activities are not included).
Note: for non-EU students, when renewing your residence permit, the Prefecture of Police will ask you to prove that you have resources of at least 615€/month.
- Tuition fees ; 243 euros / year for 2021-2022. Tuition in France is subsidized by the State, and French students acquit themselves of an administrative fee of 243 euros plus an annual contribution to Campus life (CVEC) of 92 euros. PSL has committed to applying the same tuition fees for all students, whether French or International (European Union and non-European Union), for the full course of study of students enrolling in 2021.
It is possible to combine the PhD Track Grant with other scholarships (international, social, Crous). however, you cannot combine this scholarship with any PSL Master's scholarships.
If you are not admitted to the master’s program, you will have to reapply the following year to both the master’s program and to the PhD Track Grant program.
Only the masters and courses listed on the PhD Track Grant page are eligible for the grant.
Videoconference auditions are preferred.
To consider the time required for the visa to be issued, the student is granted a period of time in accordance with the final date of arrival chosen by the master's program.
In case of refusal to issue the visa, the scholarship will not be granted to the student.
Yes, this is an exceptional situation, your scholarship funding begins as soon as the program starts and lasts for the duration of your studies.