PhD track in Finance
Our PhD program in Finance aims to give students an in-depth knowledge of finance in both theoretical and operational terms in order to prepare them for successful careers in academia, policy institutions, or the financial industry. Our PhD track is a fully-funded 5-year program structured around two phases.
During the first phase, students draw on courses from the Research-in-Finance track of the Finance master of Université Paris Dauphine-PSL, and they start working towards their research project. More specifically, the 2nd year of the research master is a stepping-stone towards the second phase of the PhD program, during which students design their PhD research project. During the second phase, students are mentored to gain state-of-the-arts research methods, write academic papers, present at academic conferences, and prepare for the academic job market.
The PhD track in Finance can be joined at two levels: either in Year 1 after a bachelor, or in Year 2 after a master or after completing the first year of a master (M1).
Phase 1 | Finance Master – Track 104 Research in Finance
The Finance master offers fundamental and advanced courses in all fields of finance: corporate finance, financial markets, investments, derivatives, financial modeling and computer programming for finance, banking and financial intermediation, mathematical finance, asset pricing. A wide range of elective courses allow students to specialize on specific topics such as financial analysis, business valuation, international finance, private equity, behavioral finance, machine learning in finance, quantitative finance etc.
PhD track students get research-oriented training with courses in econometrics and research methodology, as well as pre-doctoral courses in corporate finance, asset pricing, and market microstructure with both theoretical and empirical approaches. They are supervised by academic researchers of DRM Finance - our research team in finance - to conduct their research master thesis and they are offered multiple internship opportunities.
They can also enrich their training by a summer school in data sciences.
Phase 2 | Doctoral studies
During their doctoral years, students will benefit from the following programs:
- Academic research practice courses taught by international experts;
- A cycle of doctoral lectures taught by leading academics in their research fields;
- PSL interdisciplinary courses: PSL is a strongly interdisciplinary university with special courses that cut across our disciplinary graduate programs and are open to all graduate students;
- The research seminar series of DRM Finance;
- The Annual Dauphine Finance PhD Workshop that allows PhD students to interact and network with other young researchers from all over the world;
- Travelling grants to promote research visits in foreign universities.
Resources for prospective students
Find your course
- By education level
- By discipline
- Archives – Documentation
- Plastic Arts
- Banking - Finance - Insurance
- Communications - Journalism
- Sustainable development
- Geography - Geopolitics
- Business Administration - Management
- Art History
- Digital Humanities
- Computer Science
- Mechanics and Materials
- Fashion and design
- Human Resources
- Health - Medecine
- Cognitive science
- Data Science
- Earth sciences
- Engineering Science
- Political Science
- Religious sciences
- Social Science
- Space Science
- Life Sciences