The “Master de Chimie de Paris Centre” is a co-accredited training between PSL and Sorbonne University (SU). Rich and modular, it presents chemistry in a general and thorough way, both transversal and open to all of its interfaces, notably with physics and biology.
This master's degree is part of the graduate program in Chemistry.
Anchored in the most contemporary research in chemistry and committed to undertake the current challenges of our societies, it trains high level scientists who, at the end of their master's degree, can be part of a wide variety of professional backgrounds, from entering the job market to the preparation of a PhD.
Within the framework of PSL, this master's degree offers one specific course "Chemistry and Life Sciences" (CSDV). For a description of these courses and their modalities, please click on the "CSDV" tab on this website. Brochures are also downloadable in the right-hand side column.
To apply for these courses, click on the "Admission" tab.
In the second year, the following tracks are proposed (see their description there):
- Analytical, Physical and Theoretical Chemistry (CAPT)
- Molecular Chemistry (MOL)
- Chemistry of Materials (MAT)
- Chemical Engineering (IC)
- Chemistry and life sciences (CSDV)
The originality of the Master resides in its modularity which makes it possible to combine teaching units of these typical “specialty programs” to build personalized specialization profiles.
The completion of the Master in two years will be done in one of the following ways:
- The CSDV program - see dedicated tab
- A first year at PSL or SU then, in the second year, one of the 5 courses (CSDV, CAPT, MOL, MAT or IC, with the possibility to mix teaching units), or one year devoted to the preparation for ‘aggregation’ (see information there).
Note that it is also possible to apply to directly enter in the second year of the Master (M2).
- The methods of application must be strictly respected. Refer to the admission tab for details
- All programs are selective and correspond to a training purpose. The follow-up of a program is subjected to the acceptance by the pedagogical managers of the program concerned.
Built on the renowned expertise of several schools and research institutes of Université PSL - the École normale supérieure - PSL, École nationale supérieure de Chimie de Paris - PSL, ESPCI Paris - PSL, MINES Paris - PSL, the Institut Curie, the Institut Pasteur and the Collège de France - the program Chemistry & Life Sciences proposes high quality core courses in chemistry and biology, and a broad range of specialized courses covering various topics at the chemistry/biology interface.
This track prepares students in exploring biological systems in new ways using the knowledge of chemistry and biology. Because of their complexity, biological systems appear to chemists as the ultimate playground in terms of chemical reactivity, analytical challenges and modeling, while chemistry is often considered by biologists as the most appropriate level of description to unravel biological processes.
Beyond the academic applications, exploring the chemical frontiers of living matters opens new opportunities for addressing important problems of our world. Small molecules able to restore and correct function in the context of human diseases can potentially have a transformative impact in medicine. Personalized medicine could benefit from a combination of chemistry, genomics and disease biology to establish novel diagnostic tools and alternative therapeutic approaches. Chemistry and Biology have also a major role to play in the development of new renewable energies and sustainable materials, in particular through the combination of knowledge in biosynthetic pathways, metabolic engineering and bioinformatics.
The program Chemistry & Life Sciences aims at training highly motivated students interested in interrogating quantitatively and comprehensively biological systems at the molecular, cellular and network levels using various experimental and theoretical approaches. It allows students to develop their creativity through various research projects and internships, and to learn the latest discoveries and innovations at the chemical frontiers of living matter through privileged interactions with PSL faculty members.
The Chemistry & Life Sciences track is a two-year Master’s degree (120 ECTS) at the interface between Chemistry and Biology. Applicants must hold a Bachelor degree in Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Biochemistry or equivalent.
Please note that the Master is taught in English.
60 ECTS per year, including a 20 weeks/6 months internship during the second semester (30 ECTS). Courses are mainly given from September to January (S1 or S3). Students following the CSDV track from the M1 can choose courses on S1, S2 and S3.
This program leads to a large number of opportunities, including:
- Academic research (PhD, postdocs)
- Private sector research, development and production
- Medical research
- Innovation and entrepreneurship
- Scientific patenting
Prerequisites : Applicants must hold a Bachelor degree in Chemistry, Biology, Physics or Biochemistry or equivalent.
Admission after a Master 1 degree (or equivalent) is also possible.
Admission process: online application & interview.
Some of attachments and information to be provided:
- Cover letter explaining your interest in this program (in English)
- Academic transcripts since first year of higher education
- Copy of English language certificate if available (TOIEC, TOEFL etc.). C1 level recommended. For the record, the master is taught in English.
- Contact details of 2 academic references
- A recto verso copy of passport ID page(s)/ identity card/ or resident's card
For the CSDV program (1st or 2nd year): 10 January to 10 March 2023 (2pm CET time) through PSL application portal
The candidates from PSL (ENS - PSL, ESPCI Paris - PSL, École nationale supérieure de Chimie de Paris - PSL etc.) need to ask their affiliated PSL institution to know the dédicated application process.
For other courses (1st or 2nd year):
- The candidates originating from PSL (ENS - PSL, ESPCI Paris - PSL, École nationale supérieure de Chimie de Paris - PSL) or from partner training of PSL institutions (for example, Gay Lussac Federation), ask their affiliated PSL institution to know the methods of application.
- All other candidates apply to SU (application procedure)
- To apply to the Ecole Normale Supérieure (ENS), see the dedicated page
Teaching location: Paris, 5th district, on the campus of the École normale supérieure - PSL, École nationale supérieure de Chimie de Paris - PSL, ESPCI Paris - PSL, MINES Paris - PSL, Collège de France.
Tuition fees: The estimated annual tuition fees, based on current fees :
- 243 € / year (French and EU students)
- 3770 € / year (non-EU students not benefiting from an exemption).
In addition to these fees, there is the Student Life and Campus Contribution (CVEC) of 100€ per year. More information on the CVEC.
Institution of registration: École nationale supérieure de Chimie de Paris - PSL
Degree issued: French Master’s degree delivered by Université PSL
Mazzarine, student of the master's program in Chemistry (Chemistry and Life Sciences track)
“My only advice? Experience as much as you can, so you don’t have any regrets later on”
Mazzarine – enrolled in the Master’s program in chemistry (Chemistry & Life Sciences track). She tells us about her university experience and explains how she discovered the path she wanted to follow.
Glen, alumni of the master's program in Chemistry (Chemistry and Life Sciences track)
Find your course
- By degree
- By discipline
- Archives – Documentation
- Plastic Arts
- Banking - Finance - Insurance
- Communications - Journalism
- Sustainable development
- Geography - Geopolitics
- Business Administration - Management
- Art History
- Digital Humanities
- Computer Science
- Mechanics and Materials
- Fashion and design
- Human Resources
- Health - Medecine
- Political Science
- Cognitive science
- Space Science
- Earth sciences
- Engineering Science
- Data Science
- Life Sciences
- Religious sciences
- Social Science
- Quantum engineering