2020 ERC starting grants: PSL recipients
The European Research Council (ERC) issued on September 3, 2020 the list of 436 young European researchers who have won the Starting Grants 2020 call. Among the French projects selected, a quarter are proudly hosted by Université PSL laboratories.
The ERC Starting Grants are awarded for 5 years to talented early-career scientists (with 2-7 years of experience since completion of PhD) who want to build a team of researchers to work on an excellent research proposal.
In 2020, 38 French projects were selected. Among them, seven young researchers work in one of PSL's 140 laboratories and two other researchers run their work in labs belonging jointly to EPHE - PSL.
Researchers from PSL labs who won the ERC starting grant 2020 call for proposals:
- François Blanquart, The evolutionary epidemiology of commensal bacteria: the case of Escherichia coli from 1980 to 2025 - Projet : EvoComBac -, Centre Interdisciplinaire de Recherche en Biologie (CNRS, INSERM, Collège de France - PSL) ;
- Guillaume Gines, Molecular Programming for MicroRNA profiling, - Projet : MoP-MiP -, ESPCI Paris - PSL;
- Claudia Lunghi, Homeostatic Plasticity beyond the critical period - Projet : HOPLA - , Laboratoire des systèmes perceptifs (Département d'Etudes Cognitives de l'ENS - PSL, CNRS)
- Leandro Quadrana, Genetic and Environmental Basis of Natural Transposition and its Potential to Create Adaptive Variation - Projet : GENTE_Pop -, Institut de Biologie de l'ENS - PSL (CNRS, ENS - PSL)
- Alessandro Rudi, Reliable and cost-effective large scale machine learning - Projet : REAL, (Laboratoire d'informatique de l'ENS - PSL, Inria Paris, CNRS)
- Hervé Turlier, Reverse-engineering the development of embryos with physics-informed machine learning - Projet : DeepEmbryo -, Centre Interdisciplinaire de Recherche en Biologie (CNRS, INSERM, Collège de France - PSL)
- Céline Vallot, Tracing epigenetic evolution of triple-negative breast cancer towards chemoresistance - Projet : ChromTrace -, Institut Curie, CNRS
Winners from labs jointly owned by EPHE - PSL
- Jonathan Rominguier, Evolutionary genomics of royalty in Messor hybridogenetic ants - Projet : RoyalMess, Institut des Sciences de l’Evolution de Montpellier (ISEM) (Université de Montpellier, CNRS, IRD, EPHE - PSL, CIRAD, INRAP)
- François Vasseur, Elucidating the phenotypic determinants of hybrid vigour - Projet : PhenoVigour -, Centre d’Ecologie Fonctionnelle et Evolutive (CEFE) UMR 5175 (CNRS, Université de Montpellier, Université Paul Valery Montpellier 3, EPHE - PSL, IRD, Montpellier SupAgro, INRAE)
Funding from the ERC (European Research Council)
Founded in 2007, the European Research Council is part of the European Framework Program for Research and Innovation (Horizon 2020). Each year, the committee awards individual funding for a period of 5 years to scientists from all over the world. The ERC funds original exploratory research projects that bring scientific, technical and societal discoveries in all disciplines.
There are five ERC grants:
- Starting Grant: for young researchers - 2 to 7 years after the dissertation was defended (up to 2 million euros)
- Consolidator Grant: for researchers - 7 to 12 years after the dissertation was defended (up to 2.75 million euros)
- Advanced Grant: for senior researchers (up to €3.5 million)
- Synergy Grant: for a group of 2 to 4 researchers (up to 10 million euros over 6 years)
- Proof of Concept: for the winners, to support the technology transfer of the results obtained within the framework of an ERC grant
PSL has created a dedicated service to support researchers in order to answer to European calls for proposals email@example.com