| SAVE THE DATE |
Samedi des lycéens - January 23, 2021
First PSL Open Days 100% virtual dedicated to bachelor's degrees.
Chat with students, talk to academic and admission teams and discover student life at PSL. More information here.
The Bachelor’s program in Applied Mathematics provides an education in applied mathematics with particular focus on optimization, analysis, probabilities, statistics, and digital methodologies. Coursework includes economics, finance, computer science, and outside-facing learning, with some variation according to each student’s specific track and electives. This program is the first step toward building an education that is highly coveted by several professions and businesses in the service industry.
The Bachelor’s in Applied Mathematics is a three-year program. At the close of the first two years, students receive the L2 Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics/Informatics/Economics (MIE).
The L2 degree subsequently grants access, automatically or upon submission of an application, to additional L3 degrees (L3 in Organizational Informatics, L3 in Organizational and Market Science, and Magistère in Banking/Finance/Insurance at Dauphine, or L3 in Mathematics or Economics at other institutions and business schools). The vast majority of students nonetheless opt to pursue their studies for an L3 in Applied Mathematics.
Tracks and electives
Each year, students must complete required core courses plus a number of electives. The L1 year is mostly made up of generalist core courses. Two tracks are available for the L2 year: Mathematics/Economics and Mathematics/Informatics. During their L3 year, students can choose from one of two tracks, Mathematics/Economics/Finance/Actuarial Science and Mathematics/Informatics, plus a number of electives within each track.
Most core courses are taught in lecture format, combined with smaller seminars or practicums. Language classes, some electives, and all first-semester L1 mathematics courses take place in small seminar format. Several modules include the opportunity for students to conduct digital projects.
L1: Initial Track
L2: Mathematics/Economics Track
L2: Mathematics/Informatics Track
L3: L3 Mathematics/Economics/Finance/Actuarial Science Track: Mathematics/Informatics Track
- Follow-on education: Most students naturally move from the L3 in Mathematics to an M1 and M2 (Master’s) in Applied Mathematics with the Decision Science and Organizational Mathematics and Informatics (MIDO) Department. L3 students are also eligible to apply for and/or take competitive entrance examinations for a number of Master’s degree programs in mathematics, economics and business administration at Dauphine or elsewhere, as well as at France’s top engineering and business administration schools. About 15 students of each graduating class, for example, move on to the best graduate schools in France such as Polytechnique, Centrale, Ponts et Chaussées, ENSAE, HEC, and ESCP.
- Professional opportunities: The L3 degree in Mathematics, when combined with a Master’s from the MIDO department, opens doors to numerous professions in the service industry, particularly in the banking and insurance industries. These include actuarial services, auditing, finance (portfolio management, risk control, pricing, hedging, structuring, quantitative analysis, financial engineering), data processing, image processing, surveys, scoring, marketing studies, economic studies, modeling, and mathematical analysis. Graduates may also move on to research and teaching. In addition to this array of professions, there are a number of opportunities for Master’s degrees at Dauphine and other institutions that are open to students with an L3 degree.
Prerequisites for Year 1 (L1)
— Baccalaureate diploma in any category (category S recommended) or equivalent for international students
— Solid foundation in mathematics
— Good general knowledge
Application to be completed on the Parcoursup platform
Prerequisites: Baccalaureat or equivalent for international students
Admission process: on application
Tuition fees: More information
School for registration: Dauphine - PSL
Diploma delivered: Institutional Bachelor’s degree conferred by Université PSL.
Find your course
- By degree
- By discipline
- Archives – Documentation
- Plastic Arts
- Banking - Finance - Insurance
- Communications - Journalism
- Sustainable development
- Geography - Geopolitics
- Business Administration - Management
- Art History
- Digital Humanities
- Computer Science
- Mechanics and Materials
- Fashion and design
- Human Resources
- Health - Medecine
- Cognitive science
- Data Science
- Earth sciences
- Engineering Science
- Political Science
- Religious sciences
- Social Science
- Space Science
- Life Sciences