Science & Society
Bringing scientific dialogue to society as a whole (general public, school students, local stakeholders, etc.) and reaching beyond our laboratories is part of the mission of Université PSL. We are committed to a dynamic transfer and dissemination of knowledge. With events, videos, podcasts, talks, and much more throughout the year, we invite as wide an audience as possible to share our knowledge.
Located in Paris, PSL is a key player in one of the world’s most dynamic scientific centers. Promoting freedom through knowledge, the university has helped to spread the influence of science and knowledge to all areas of society, over the long history of its component schools. We are a signatory of the “Citizen Science and Participatory Research Charter” of 20 March 2017.
Science with and for Society
PSL was one of the first eight universities to be awarded the “Science with and for Society” certification in November 2021, by the Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation.
Université PSL’s knowledge sharing strategy is based on three key points:
- Fostering mediation by making full use of our wide disciplinary range to tackle the major issues facing society in all their complexity.
- Promoting mediation as close as possible to research in progress, combining the knowledge of our researchers and students with the skills of mediation structures both within and outside the University.
- Supplementing mediation activities aimed at the general public, school students and teachers with activities aimed specifically at bringing together Research – Public Action, Civil Society, the Economic and Social World.
With 140 laboratories across all disciplines and more than 200 holders of prestigious European “ERC” grants, Université PSL is committed to intensive research, offering a thousand and one opportunities for wonder and discovery, and envisaging the future in a new light.
Sharing science in progress
Knowledge sharing lies at the heart of our mission. In our component schools, video, audio, visual, and textual content is available via a dedicated website to discover research in progress.
Participate in the science-society dialogue through scientific mediation activities
Student associations, researchers from the PSL Outreach Network, communication professionals, scientific journalists and video makers… there are many groups at the University organizing mediation events throughout the year for schools, the general public, local stakeholders, etc., sharing their knowledge and encouraging dialogue.
January to December: A year with a theme
Every year, a theme, a word, serves as a common thread. This theme is examined through the prism of all the disciplines at PSL, experimental sciences, humanities and social sciences, the arts, etc. and reflects the variety of research at the University, where different approaches are compared and discussed.
Spring: My thesis in 180 seconds
180 seconds to present your research project in simple terms and convince the jury, this is the challenge that faces participants every year in the competition “My thesis in 180 seconds”.
September: a new scientific year - PSL Anthropocene
Launched in 2021, at the start of every academic year PSL Anthropocene explores one of the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals. Lectures, events and cultural activities are put on for all the University’s students. Most are broadcast on the University’s YouTube channel and are sometimes open for all to attend in person.
September: European Researchers’ Night
Organized throughout Europe, European Researchers’ Night is an invitation to share an evening with scientists to discuss a topic and engage in friendly dialogue.
Many PSL researchers take part in this event every year.
September – March: Photo – Poetry competition
Major annual photo and poetry competition for PSL students
October: PSL Science Festival
Experimental sciences, humanities and social sciences, economics, law… all the research fields in the university’s 140 laboratories are at the heart of a far-ranging program aimed at a wide audience. From the youngest pupils to university students, and including public institutions and high school students, scientific mediation activities, debates and lectures will be offered at various points on the campus and in the heart of Paris.
November 2022: The Future Of
Sustainable innovation program, in partnership with Soscience, aimed at civil society and public action, with the goal of launching new collaborative research and innovation projects with a high societal and environmental impact in the form of public-private, cross-sector and transdisciplinary cooperation.
February – June: exhibition linked to the year’s topic
For 2022-2023 the exhibition is “L’Eau ça turbine”, looking at water at work, in partnership with Eau de Paris. Open to the general public and school children.
Other events, a series of lectures, open nights, debates, etc. will be offered throughout the year, see our Events page.
Whether you are a student or a researcher, you can join in by contacting the Outreach department: email@example.com!
- Traces, traditionally a service provider of ESPCI Paris-PSL producing mediation activities at ESPGG, Traces is the obvious partner for PSL.
- Planète Sciences: created in 1962, Planète Sciences offers young people the opportunity to take part in a global educational project, giving them a taste for science and technology by focusing on an experimental approach and team work.
- ASTS was created in 1981 to promote scientific and technological advances with the general public from a cultural and human perspective, by focusing on civic awareness and action.
- Science Ouverte is an association whose aim is to open young people’s eyes to science and to open up science for young people. Notably, it puts young researchers in contact with an experienced researcher.
- Soscience: SoScience’s expertise lies in responsible Research and Innovation and in open innovation with a social and environmental impact.
- The Académie du Climat aims to give everyone the means to understand, to experiment and to tackle environmental challenges so that together we can build the path to a desirable future. It works to disseminate and share theoretical and scientific knowledge on environmental issues through practical hands-on workshops, and it supports action promoting climate and ecological transition.
- Eau de Paris : responsible for the production, transportation and distribution of water in the French capital, Eau de Paris was born in 2009 out of the political will of the City of Paris for integrated, direct and public water management. The mission of Eau de Paris is also to raise awareness among Parisians, especially young people in schools, of how water resources are managed and protected.
- Expédition MED's goals are to support scientific research into plastic waste in the oceans; to develop a united international network; to inform and mobilize the general public, decision-makers and politicians, and to promote alternative solutions to traditional oil-based plastic.